Thursday, February 11, 2016

The Most Memorable Gift: ROLLA LEE RUBEN z"l (Terumah 5776)

Teacher Gift Ideas
Next week ends sheloshim (first month of mourning) for my mom, Rolla Lee Ruben z"l, who died at the age of 81 after a valiant battle against breast cancer and resilience through a decade of Parkinson's. She died peacefully surrounded by her family just weeks after holding her first great-grandchild. 

After raising her family and teaching for nearly four decades at Broadway Elementary School in Los Angeles, my mom wrote powerful reminiscences about, among other things, teaching at this public school in an economically depressed neighborhood. We called these reminiscences, "Bubby Stories"; one especially resonates with the theme of gifts in this week's Torah portion, Terumah

Rolla collected lots of memorable gifts brought by students as she taught elementary school for nearly 40 years. For example, the beautiful box of headless chocolate Santas she received from a student whose mother worked in a candy factory. Or animal figurines bought at Pin 'N' Save a few blocks from school. 

The Torah portion Terumah describes memorable gifts to build the wilderness tabernacle. The Torah narrative lists those items starting with gold and silver, then continues to fabrics, oils, and spices. The list ends with precious and semi-precious stones. 

The Ohr HaChaim (18th century Morrocan sage) taught that items were listed in order of their 'value.' That makes sense at the top of the list - gold, silver, copper, turquoise. But what of the bottom of the list which moves from mere oils and spices to precious and semi-precious stones? Ohr HaChaim explains those stones were not so valuable because according to rabbinic legend they simply fell from clouds in the wilderness with manna. (Yoma 75a). In other words, no work or effort went into obtaining these precious stones. No money was spent to get them. 

Torah seems to be teaching that the most valuable gifts are those given authentically and with some significant effort. It is that sense of 'value' that resonates with this Bubby Story. This true story is adapted/excerpted from Rolla's A Present for the Teacher, which she wrote about seven years ago 

At Broadway Elementary School, the presents I received were almost always purchased at the local Pic 'N' Save. After thirty-six years, I do not remember all of them, but there were some that hold a special place in my memory.

Like the box covered with beautiful wrapping paper and inside I discovered two pair of bikini underwear. Fortunately, I did not open that gift in front of the class. That poor fifth grader would have been mortified had he seen what his mother bought wrapped for me. It was interesting to see how much my image changed over time because years later I unwrapped a box filled with six pair of support hose.

But the most memorable gift I ever received came on my last day teaching at Broadway. At the end of the Culmination Program it took a long time for my fifth graders and their parents to say goodbye. I was reluctant to leave and so were they. Many hugs were given and pictures were taken.

Then I noticed one of my students standing at a distance holding a giant bouquet. Makayla had been in my class for only five weeks. She had come from a neighboring school as a special transfer after she was suspended for bad (really terrible) behavior through the year. Makayla was sent to me for the end of the year. She was often miserable and spread her misery to anyone near.  Even the other students felt for her. We all worked to make her feel at home in our class. But no one seemed able to reach her. 

Now Makayla's mother was behind her saying, encouraging, "Go on give the flowers to Mrs. Ruben." Makayla approached me slowly; clutching the flowers tightly. 

As she got close Makayla reached into the flowers, pulled out the plastic card holder, then handed that to me. But not the flowers. Makayla turned and ran. I never did get the flowers! But I did get a lovely card written in Makayla’s own distinctive handwriting. She wrote "thank you for making me feel at home in your class. Thank you."

It was as authentic and valuable a gift as any I ever received as a teacher.

May we each be blessed with the strength to give authentic gifts and the wisdom to receive them mindful of their value. 

My mom's twin sister, my sister, and I were blessed to have shared these experiences with Rolla all of our lives until now. We and our families are really grateful for the sympathy, support, and great kindness that has come to us this long season of illness and death. We also are grateful to those who have shared their own 'Bubby Stories' about Rolla's life and the ways she enriched their lives. May her memory endure as a blessing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Here